Tuesday, July 10, 2012

On Adjustments

I swear I won't keep posting about my kids. I try not to be one dimensional on here and if you know me in "real life" you know that I'm not known for going on about my kids all day (right?!?).  But for now, here's another post about parenthood.

On Adjustments for Jack:

A month or two ago we took the side off of Jack's bed, converting it into a toddler bed. We felt he was ready for it. Plus, when we go up to Ontario next month to stay at the cottage we figured it would be easier to have him sleep in a normal bed than have to worry about bringing the pack and play. The first few weeks were smooth sailing: he never got out of bed (amazing!) and he seemed to really enjoy the fact that he had the ability to climb in and out of his bed during the day. Then the light bulb went off in his head that if he could get in and out during the day, that also included nap times and bed time! Freedom! Except it was really frustrating for us (and slightly creepy if you remember this).  Last night he got out of bed at midnight and then again at 5:45 this morning. And finally I'd had enough and Tim put the side back up and that was that. It was time to admit defeat for now and wait until he's a little older and more comprehensive. Jack took his revoked freedom with an air of grace when he saw his crib after breakfast. It might be a different story once he realizes he's trapped in their for bedtimes.

On Adjustments for Moses:

As you may remember, despite my best efforts, I had to stop breastfeeding. It still bothers me but I'm thankful that the formula has transformed Moses temperament as well as his skinny little legs into chubby ones. That said, I've never been comfortable with the nutritional makeup of soy formula (or formula in general). The fact that corn syrup is the first ingredient was enough to make me search out alternatives. I settled on making my own (what?!) after finding this recipe which looked pretty well-balanced to me. I won't use it exclusively as its pricey to make. But it's a good supplement to the store bought stuff. The other reason I won't be using it exclusively is because if I was caught feeding him the "homemade brew" in public, people would probably think I was feeding him dish water. I mean....let's not beat around the bush here. The stuff is absolutely a grayish green color (a result of the multi-vitamin). Don't judge. 





3 comments:

  1. first - don't apologize for posting about your boys. I LOVE THEM. and your blog. in all it's seasons :)

    two - we are doing the.exact.same.thing with the Lilster. she was doing fine in her big girl bed for MONTHS, but weve been on the road for 9 weeks and shes always been in a packnplay. this week we're house sitting and they had a big girl (read: kid) bed that we COULD have put her in, but who are we kidding, it's easier in the cage. I mean packnplay. Ahem.

    c - that formula is blowing my mind. I had no idea you could make your own! and what's this about corn syrup?? my formula doesn't have that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Em!

    Jack figured out how to climb out of the crib so .... yeah. The plan totally backfired.

    And the formula, I'm realizing, is going to be way too expensive to keep up. The reason the one we use has corn syrup is because we're off dairy, so its a soy based formula. So they use corn syrup to sweeten it. I'd be fine if it wasn't the main ingredient

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    Michelle & I love to see posts about your kids, and we totally understand. Parenting young children takes up 90% of our day, so of course it's going to be what we talk about so much.

    I think the homemade formula is fascinating. Just be brave, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. I remain unconvinced of the worth of many parts of our culture - what we eat, how much we drive, television, etc. So don't feel bad at all for trying to do something good for Moses. He is absolutely adorable, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...