Sunday, January 13, 2013

January Thaw

The other day I noticed a tulip bulb poking its little green neck out of soil, blissfully unaware that it's still the middle of winter. Little does it know these uncustomary warmer temperatures will only lead to its premature death once the ice returns. I admit, I felt a palpable sense of sadness for it.

Anyways, we took advantage of the January thaw by taking the boys on a long walk in the park. Jack has been stocking up on cabin fever so I couldn't get out there fast enough to let him burn off a little energy and breathe in some good old fresh air.  Is it just me, or does Jack have a ghostly white face? No matter how much I increase the color levels on this photo, his face remains translucent. Evidence that he hasn't been outside in a long time....


It was also a nice way to close our time as a family while Tim was on Christmas break from school. Having him home for a whole month was an incredible gift and I know it's going to be tough to get back into the swing of flying solo, especially on those days where it's too cold to go outside and the boys' rogue energy must be loosed within the constrains of these four walls. Like that eager tulip bulb I will be stretching my neck out of the house at the first sign of spring.


Here's to more beautiful winter days like this one.

1 comment:

  1. I miss all the snow!!! I guess with older kids it's easier to take them out when there's plenty of snow to build snowmen and go tobogganing. My kids keep complaining that the snow is gone. But I do enjoy the warmer air!

    I feel sad too for the unfortunate tulip that is ignorantly awaiting its death.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...