Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jack's Birth Story : The Preface

I never did get around to sharing Jack's birth story and I'd still like to do that, maybe in a few days when I have some spare time to really think back on the details and reencounter that oh so special day in our family's history. For now I want to share part of the backstory...

I want to start by expressing how broken I am with gratefulness for being given a healthy baby, particularly in light of what could have been. There are many parents out there who, though they themselves are given a clean bill of health their whole life, are faced with the often heart-breaking challenge of walking through a serious illness with their child. This gratefulness became so tangible today when I came across The Hammitt Family. Please, please, please remember to pray for Bowen and his family. They so desperately need your prayers, especially in light of yesterday's news.


I can't imagine the pain of watching your child suffer, of watching him or her spend those first few precious months of life in the hospital... or worst of all, the pain of never bringing them home. The real amazing part of it all is reading about this family's faith in the midst of these trials - of their awareness of God's goodness, of His sovereignty in the situation, and the conviction that their son's heart, even with its defects, is a gift.

My own parents faced this trial, spending the first several months of my life in the hospital with me, watching me undergo risky surgeries and coming to grips with the great possibility they may never take me home. My dad even baptized me in the hospital, after being told I may not live more than a few days. I shudder at the thought of having to endure such terrible pain. The fear of these circumstances is what keeps me from wanting to "risk my luck" with another pregnancy - as if lightening can't strike twice. But of course, there's the small voice deep down that reminds me that "...with God, all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26)

My family will attest to what a miracle Jack, and his perfect whole and healthy self, is in consideration of the body he was crafted inside. Throughout my life I've had various health issues though, praise God and God alone, nothing chronic. I've had a number of surgeries including the removal of one of my fallopian tubes where it was also discovered that I have endrometriosis (a condition closely associated with infertility) - another reason it's unfathomable that I not only conceived, but conceived very quickly.

I'll say it again and again, praise be to God and God alone for what he has done in my life and the life of my family. He has poured out so many undeserved blessings upon us, and when I say undeserved I mean it. We have done nothing to earn what He has given us and his grace and generosity continues to be abundant and inexhaustible.

We have so very much to be thankful for.

Jack's Birth Story coming soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...