Friday, February 17, 2012

Old News.

This is old news but several months ago we invested in a new media cabinet. I didn't like the way our old one looked, plus I wanted a piece of furniture that could store our dvds as well as the television. Here's the old one:


I hated how all the wires were visible. It looked messy and unkept. The whole thing just looked cheap and cluttered. I also realized that almost everything in the bookcase on the right was mostly unused: books we never read, cds we never listen to and dvds we never watch.  This prompted a major media purge which also resulted in not really needing a whole bookcase to store about thirty dvds. Anyways, you get the point - that corner of the room needed a makeover. 

Our friends who live above us found an incredible IKEA media cabinet on craigslist for $50 and as soon as I saw it I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. Amazingly, we found another one listed on craigslist a few days later (what are the odds?!) The catch: it was listed along with a side table we didn't need for a total cost of $100. Way more than I was willing to spend. I contacted the seller and asked if he'd sell the tv stand separately, he said no. So I offered $80 for the pair since our friends upstairs offered to buy the side table from us... yadda yadda yadda. We ended up getting it. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was completely obsessed with getting this media cabinet - hounding the seller (the guy would NOT respond to my offer) and just using up way too much brain activity on a piece of furniture.  In that brief moment I was enraptured with Tumblr, I posted this would-be letter to the seller:

thank you for finally calling me about the t.v. stand. i apologize for all the negative thoughts i shot your way over the course of two agonizing days of silence. you’ve taught me two lessons: 1) that patience is key when buying something off craigslist and 2) sometimes my unflinching determination pays off. i’m glad that slightly hounding you resulted in being considered “the most interested buyer” compared to the other four people. 
sincerely,
me 




Here's the media cabinet in all its glory. I posted the picture on the right to give the feel of the whole corner now. So much homier, brighter and neater. For $50 this makeover was a steal. One of the best parts is that the wires are no longer exposed, nor is the t.v. in reach of little hands as it was before. And of course, I love that everything can be stored in one piece of furniture rather than two. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...