Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011. The Year of Accomplishment.

Today, the first day of 2011, is also the first day of returning to reality. Of going back to life before Facebook when you wrote letters and paid someone a visit instead of silently and secretly staying in touch by watching their life unfold on a wall.


Today is the first day of getting back to one on one time with my world and to spending each day purposefully. It's a return to the life I always want to live but never get around to because I'm too absorbed in watching everybody else's unfold online. I don't want to get to the end of my life - which could be tomorrow or eighty years from now - and realize that most of my free time (or time in general, really) was spent on a website. In virtual non-reality. I don't say all this to make you Facebook users feel guilty.... in fact, I'll happily admit that my break up from Facebook will be a difficult one that I may even regret from time to time. But I also know when something has taken too grand a place in my life than it deserves and virtual social networking is one of them.

Hi my name is Lauren and I'm addicted to Facebook. Or was.
Today is my first day of sobriety.

I'm dubbing these next 365 days "The Year of Accomplishment" and hope I live up to its name. I want to look back on 2011 with a sense of productivity and purpose. I want to know that I gave life my all and was the best of myself in every measure. I want to feel confident, at the end of it all, that very little time was wasted. That every breath, every minute was spent with intentional pursuit of the next.


This year I want to ...

knit.draw.develop.create.love.soak.learn.teach.
submit.sing.strum.seek.pray.laugh.embrace.excel.

1 comment:

  1. I love this.
    And as difficult as it is to confess a secret thing I'm looking forward to about my new life as a Mum in Bugembe is...little time for Facebook. Whenever people ask me if I'll have internet access once I get home I really want to say'' gosh i hope not.'' but I feel that would be a little rude ;) But I want to live every day on purpose and I feel Facebook is such a hindrance to that happening in my life. Thank you for this reminder, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...